Tuesday 25 July 2017

Chilton Chine to Whale Chine

Parked at Chilton Chine, walked past Isle of Wight Pearl and headed towards Grange Chine via Brighstone Holiday Centre. On the outskirts were derelict chalets, brightly painted, very close to the cliff edge and clearly not safe to use, but round the corner was the holiday centre proper, with chalets, tents and caravans and lots of families clearly enjoying themselves. The footpath led down into Grange Chine, over a bridge and up steps to the cliff top above. I paused for a few minutes to enjoy the view here - lovely.

I strolled along the cliff edge through wildflower meadows, past herds of Guernsey cattle, watching beetles, ladybirds, buzzards, bumblebees, and flies, and listening to crickets in the grass. The path rose steeply as it approached Barnes High, and I found a welcome bench at the top where I stopped to catch my breath and admire the view along the coast to Tennyson Down, and inland to the downs around Brighstone and Shorwell.

The path continued onwards along the crumbling clifftop - much evidence of recent cliff falls -  to Atherfield Bay Holiday Camp at Shepherd's Chine. The path led inland through the campsite here, around the chine, and crossed over above a pond which fed the stream further down the chine. Before I found the path leading around the chine, I blindly followed a path and steps down to the beach; I had misread a sign at the top of the steps saying there was no access to the cliff top from here, and on the face of it this appeared to be true. However, this merely meant that if you walked along the beach towards Blackgang Chine, there was no way of getting back up. I sat on the beach for a bit before figuring out my mistake, and carried on. Beyond the chine, the path continued to Atherfield Point, where there was a unusual homemade memorial to  the shipwreck of the Sirenia on Atherfield Ledge. I was going to stop here and go back, but I thought I might as well continue to Whale Chine, so I did.

I had never been to Whale Chine, and the path down it is closed, and has been for ten years, due to coastal erosion. The chine was by far the most magnificent that I had seen today, with high cliffs sculpted by wind and studded with the burrows of nesting birds. I turned inland here, thinking I would walk back along the Military Road, but on realising that the verges were narrow and sloping, and the traffic was fast, decided to go back the way I had come. This was a delightful walk, with wonderful wildlife and scenery. Gorgeous.

Route: https://gb.mapometer.com/walking/route_4582754.html
Distance: 10.5 miles


Derelict chalets


Grange Chine


Grange Chine to Tennyson Down


View to Barnes High


Bridge near Grange Chine


Shepherd's Chine


Sirenia information


Whale Chine entrance

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.